Registrar of Racehorses
The Rules of Racing make it compulsory for all transfers of ownership to be recorded for registered racehorses. The following conditions apply when completing a transfer of ownership:
- A transfer of ownership is not official until approved by the Registrar of Racehorses or Deputy Registrar of the Principal Racing Authority (PRA) in whose area the horse is to race.
- The completed transfer of ownership form should be lodged with the PRA together with the relevant fee.
- The first named person appearing in the new ownership section shall be recorded as the racing manager and all correspondence shall be sent to that person unless otherwise stated.
- All outgoing owners are required to sign the transfer of ownership, OR an auctioneer acts as an agent of the owners and has the authority to sign the contract of sale. The transfer form documents the sale. As such, the auctioneer has the authority to sign the transfer form
- Except in the case of an auctioneer signing this form, if any transfer is being signed under Power of Attorney or Letter of Authority, a copy of such authority must be provided when lodging the transfer
- The Document of Description/Thoroughbred Identification Card does not need to be sent in for a transfer of ownership.
- When the transfer of ownership is completed a Transfer Endorsement Certificate will be returned to the manager or a nominated person.
- The trainer should lodge a Stable Return in the names of the new owners.
Click on the links below to obtain a Transfer of ownership form from your Principal Racing Authority or one of the links below to download the appropriate form. Please forward to your Principal Racing Authority once you have completed the application.
Change of Share Percentage
- Complete this form if you want to CHANGE THE SHARE PERCENTAGE of one or more existing owners or lessees of a registered horse.
- ALL OWNERS MUST COMPLETE the form including those whose share percentage has not changed.
- Confirmation of the change will be sent to the manager of the horse when the application has been processed.
THIS FORM SHOULD NOT BE USED IF YOU...
- Want to notify a change in the owners of a horse.
- Want to change any outgoing or incoming owners.
- In these cases a Transfer of Ownership form must be completed. Please check the topic above.
© Racing Information Services Australia Pty Ltd (and other parties working with it)
While care has been taken to compile the details of racing materials information available via this website, RISA accepts no responsibility for errors or omissions in the information provided.
In the event of any defect, errors or omissions RISA's liability shall be limited to providing the information again.